About six people are dead and thirty (30) injured at a Beirut rally organized by the Shiite Hezbollah and Amal movements on Thursday.
The movement demands the dismissal of the lead investigator in connection to the last year’s port blast.
Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi told a press conference that the death toll had climbed to six as of mid-day Thursday.
He said that some of the victims where shot in the head.
A 24-year-old woman was hit to the head by a stray bullet while inside her home, a doctor at the Sahel hospital in Beirut’s southern suburbs said.
The Lebanese Red Cross put the number of wounded to at least 30.
A Lebanese television broadcast images of men carrying rifles and heavy weaponry.
The army reported “bursts of gunfire in the area of Tayouneh – Badaro,” a largely residential area of Beirut.
“The army rushed to cordon off the area and deploy in its neighborhoods and their entrance.
In a follow-up statement, the military warned that it would open fire at anyone firing live rounds, calling on civilians to evacuate the area.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati called for calm to be restored and warned against attempts to drag Lebanon into violence.
shooting in beirut
beirut rally shooting
beirut protest shooting
shooting in beirut today